File upload/submission question type

Re: File upload/submission question type

por Richard Lobb -
Número de respuestas: 4

Certainly no slap over the wrist from me - it sounds great, Trent! Please share. 

I did something vaguely similar a few years ago when teaching a web programming course - the student's "answer" was an URL of a website they'd implemented, and the template code then explored and graded their site. And like you, I had to punch holes in the firewalls to make it happen.

I'm only a control freak with regard to CodeRunner itself - the more uses you can find for it the better, as far as I'm concerned :)

Richard

En respuesta a Richard Lobb

por Trent Lewis -

I’ll keep you up to date and share it when it’s done. 

Trent

En respuesta a Trent Lewis

por Trent Lewis -

So...I just finished a semester using a CodeRunner+SVNRepo question type...and...it went really well!

It allow students to commit their complete project and any support files from their IDE (NetBeans and Java in this case) which also gave their revision number and then head over to Moodle/CodeRunner question and submit the revision number.  The question then checks out the code (based on the revision where the root of repo was based on the students Moodle username so no cross contamination or code stealing) and used Ant to build and run the code which was then subjected to the standard CodeRunner test cases.  We had to set up a dummy SVN user that had ip restricted access to the repository rather than hard coding a text password (students managed to find that quickly!)

Students seemed to easily get the hang of it and it allowed me to automatically provided feedback on more complex programming problems (something bigger than a cut and paste allows).  It also gave students more practice at using version control which is always good.  For major assignments I could also easily checkout the final code revision and review it for myself (and use coderunner as a self-review tool for the students).

I'll sanitize the question type a bit more once my teaching settles and maybe even make some notes on it if anyone is interested.

Trent

En respuesta a Trent Lewis

por Richard Lobb -

Great posting - thanks Trent. I forwarded it to all our Software Engineering staff to show them how things should be done :)  I'd certainly be interested in hearing more when/if you have time.

Richard

En respuesta a Richard Lobb

por Jim Newton -
Was feature implemented?

Having students copy/paste large amounts of code into the text box which gets magically spliced into template code is very brittle.  If the user's code is not parsable, then the error messages are completely useless.  For example if the user code is missing a parenthesis or quotation mark, the output does not indicate such.
If the user's code was available as a file, then it would be easy to tell whether that file is parsable.