On "Specific Feedback"

Re: On "Specific Feedback"

by Richard Lobb -
Number of replies: 0

I don't quite understand this part. You talk about having the Test column of the results describe the test, but also about running both TEST.testcode and TEST.extra. What do you put in the TEST.testcode field in order to do this? If I just put a string obviously I get errors when this gets executed, do you just make it a comment?

Sorry, that was a bit confusing. I have two main python question types: the standard one that's used for 95% of questions and a special one for tkinter. The standard one executes both TEST.testcode and TEST.extra, after the student's code. If I wish to hide test code with this question type, I put Python comments in testcode and the hidden executable stuff in extra and possibly in _prefix.py. The tkinter question type executes only the student code and TEST.extra, so in that case the testcode is pure English commentary on what the test is doing.

For my Python questions, would you just do this with an import inside a try statement?

I actually build the program to be tested as a string consisting of any _prefix code, other prefix stuff, the student code and the testing code. Then I either exec that under control of a watchdog timer or run it in a subprocess. However, in simpler questions that aren't using a combinator template grader, you should be able to do as you suggest. Or read it into a string and exec it.