Developers' Forum

Matplotlib

Matplotlib

by Andreas Siebel -
Number of replies: 7

Hello,

I tried setting up the python-sandpit, but I get the following error:

Matplotlib created a temporary config/cache directory at /tmp/matplotlib-8125qscx because the default path (/home/jobe00/.config/matplotlib) is not a writable directory; it is highly recommended to set the MPLCONFIGDIR environment variable to a writable directory, in particular to speed up the import of Matplotlib and to better support multiprocessing.

I installed
In reply to Andreas Siebel

Re: Matplotlib

by Andreas Siebel -

I found the error:

pip3 uninstall matplotlib
apt-get install python3-matplotlib

Solved the problem

In reply to Andreas Siebel

by Laurent Berger -
Unfortunalety It does not work for me :

Mauvaise sortie de la notation :
Run result: Run error
Output:
{"epiloguehtml": "png;base64,
Matplotlib created a temporary config/cache directory at /tmp/matplotlib-yca8mrb_ because the default path (/home/jobe00/.config/matplotlib) is not a writable directory; it is highly recommended to set the MPLCONFIGDIR environment variable to a writable directory, in particular to speed up the import of Matplotlib and to better support multiprocessing.
. L'exécution de votre programme a peut-être été interrompue (par exemple, une limite de temps ou une limite de mémoire dépassée).
In reply to Laurent Berger

by Laurent Berger -
It does not work because I use python 3.10.4 and that's not official distribution.

How can I set MPLCONFIGDIR in jobe config?

by Laurent Berger -
Ok solved i used those lines in template :

import getpass
import os
os.environ['MPLCONFIGDIR'] = "/tmp/" + getpass.getuser()
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import json
import base64
import subprocess
import re
import os.path

# Define lines of code to insert before student's code
PREFIX = ["import matplotlib",
"matplotlib.use('Agg')",
"import matplotlib.pyplot as __plt__",
]

def make_data_uri(filename): ......

by Richard Lobb -
Good fix! Our own workaround (e.g. see here) is

if 'MPLCONFIGDIR' not in os.environ or os.environ['MPLCONFIGDIR'].startswith('/home'):
    import tempfile
    os.environ['MPLCONFIGDIR'] = tempfile.mkdtemp()

Would you mind telling us what question type you're using as your starting point? It looks like one of our own (University of Canterbury) in-house types. Some of the ones lying around in various historic postings are very out-dated and probably should be deleted or edited to point to more recent versions. Hopefully yours isn't too old. It sounds like you've got it working, anyway.

by Richard Lobb -
Thanks for the info. Good to know that blog post has been useful. Since it's just introducing general principles, it's not something that will have gone out of date. Enjoy!