Unexpected error while executing your code.

Unexpected error while executing your code.

by anastasia leyva -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

I have installed the coderunner plugin and I am using all of the default plugin settings. The jobe server and api-key fields are blank to use the default values.

I am only initially testing coderunner in a Moodle test instance with a few user.

This is the full error message:

FAILED TO RUN TESTS

Unexpected error while executing your code. The sandbox server may be down or overloaded. Perhaps try again shortly?

The submission was invalid, and has been disregarded without penalty.

In reply to anastasia leyva

Re: Unexpected error while executing your code.

by Richard Lobb -

Hi Anastasia

I don't think leaving those plugin settings blank works; you have to explicitly set them to the default values (though they should be so set when you first install the plugin).

If that doesn't fix the problem then I think your Moodle server must be unable to access the Jobe server, perhaps because of firewall rules.

-- Richard

In reply to Richard Lobb

by anastasia leyva -

Hi Richard,

Thank you  for the advice, this is now working. Is there any risk in using the plugin with the default jobe server if we used this only for formative assessments or simply to let students practice their coding skills and if we had a limited and small number of users?  Why is it recommend to use our own jobe server?

Many thanks,

Anastasia

In reply to anastasia leyva

by Richard Lobb -

Hi Anastasia

The default Jobe server is just a small 2-core server intended only for system admins to check out their install of the CodeRunner plugin. To quote from the documentation:

In its initial configuration, CodeRunner is set to use a University of Canterbury Jobe server to run jobs. You are welcome to use this during initial testing, but it is not intended for production use. Authentication and authorisation on that server is via an API-key and the default API-key given with CodeRunner imposes a limit of 100 per hour over all clients using that key, worldwide. If you decide that CodeRunner is useful to you, please set up your own Jobe sandbox as described in Sandbox configuration below.

So if you do continue to use the default server, you're liable to intermittently be told that the submission limit has been reached. This not only prevents you and your students from using that Jobe server but also locks out anyone else in the world trying to use it, until the next hour.

I am just a university lecturer who has developed some software. I'm happy to make it available free and open source, but I'm not offering a computing service. There are close on 2000 registered Moodle sites using CodeRunner, some with massive student enrolments. Neither I nor my University can provide computing services to a user base of this scale.

-- Richard