Ignore Xlint compilation output in Java?

Ignore Xlint compilation output in Java?

de către Tom Spander-
Număr de răspunsuri: 3

Hey there!

We are trying to demonstrate one of Java's preview language features in a class (pattern matching in switch). Unfortunately, using a preview feature (even with the "--enable-preview" compile arg) always produces a warning output from the Java compiler, which CodeRunner interprets as a syntax error despite being syntactically valid.

Is there any way to ignore this type of output?

Best regards,

Tom

Ca răspuns la Tom Spander

Re: Ignore Xlint compilation output in Java?

de către Richard Lobb-
I think your best approach here is to switch to using a question type scripted in Python, in which you take charge of the whole compile-and-run process. The documentation section on Implementing or supporting new languages points the way forward, using C as an example. 

The template code in the documentation includes the lines

return_code = subprocess.call("gcc {0} -o prog prog.c".format(cflags).split())
if return_code != 0:
    print("** Compilation failed. Testing aborted **", file=sys.stderr)
You would need to replace those lines with code that compiles the Java program and analyses the result to check if it's just a preview warning; if so, accept the compilation as valid. This means you'll want to use the more-general subprocess.run rather than subprocess.call, capturing the stdout and stderr for analysis.

Another example of this approach to compiling and running other languages is the built-in multilanguage question type, which runs C, C++, Java or Python. You could mostly use the template code for that question type, stripping out all the non-Java stuff and tweaking the few lines of code that do the compilation. To see the template, start to create a new CodeRunner question, choose Multilanuage as the CodeRunner question type and click the Customise checkbox to see the template code. Use that instead of the C compile-and-run code in the above-linked documentation section.

One caveat: both the documentation and the multilanguage question type use a per-test-case template grader. However, if you're going to be making extensive use of this approach with Java (which has big compile overheads) you'd probably want a combinator template to save recompiling on each testcase. But I suggest using the per-test-case approach for a start, as it's easier.

Ca răspuns la Richard Lobb

de către Tom Spander-
Thank you very much for the detailed response! I probably won't be making use of it often enough to justify making a combinator template, as we don't intend to make the preview features an actual core part of the course, more just a showcase. I'll give the multi language template a try first and see how that goes.

Best,
Tom
Ca răspuns la Tom Spander

de către Anton Dil-
I had the same issue which I haven't been able to resolve (relating to a different warning). I do know that in some contexts @SuppressWarnings works as an annotation.