Latest attempt parameter

Latest attempt parameter

by Cosmin Sabo -
Number of replies: 2

Hello,

First of all, I want to tell you that CodeRunner is a wonderful module, easy to use and generates an extraordinary increase in the quality of the educational process.

In this sense, I try to use CodeRunner in combination with the StudentQuiz module, but there is an issue that I don't know how to manage it.

The StudentQuiz module read from the moodle the result of the last attempt of a question but always receive in response that the last test was not correct.

In the image attached, you can see that the last attempt is marked as failed, but the truth is that the answer passes the tests. For other types of questions, the last attempt works fine.

Best regards,
Cosmin

Attachment 2020-03-31_9-17-01.png
In reply to Cosmin Sabo

Re: Latest attempt parameter

by Richard Lobb -

Good to hear that you're finding CodeRunner useful.

I don't think this is going to be an easy problem to solve. I've had a quick look at the code for StudentQuiz and I think I was fortunate enough to land on the bit that's causing the problem. In locallib.php there's a function mod_studentquiz_get_studentquiz_progress_from_question_attempts_steps that tries to determine the state of a question attempt by finding the most recent occurrence of a question attempt step row that's either in the state $gradedright, $gradedpartial or $gradedwrong. However, CodeRunner questions run in an adaptive mode and in that mode if a student submits a right answer, the question attempt step state is set to $complete with the appropriate mark recorded in the _rawfraction behaviour variable. I believe all questions behave like that when run in an adaptive mode. Presumably StudentQuiz attempts to run the questions in some different mode, but this gets overridden by CodeRunner, as I believe it's not appropriate to ask coding questions without giving immediate feedback to the student when they submit.

However, I admit my understanding of StudentQuiz is minimal, and you may wish to invite the author of that module to comment on this too.

In reply to Richard Lobb

Re: Latest attempt parameter

by Cosmin Sabo -

Dear Richard,

Thank you for the quick and explicit answer. I have sent the information to StudentQuiz producers and I hope to receive a positive response as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Cosmin