Hiding green/red notification of correctness

Hiding green/red notification of correctness

de către Carroll Morgan-
Număr de răspunsuri: 6

I'm intending to run custom quizzes where collaboration is a risk, and so I will be controlling how much information is returned to students by pre-check, by check and by submit. (See "Passing information over a CHECK" below.)

In particular, an "all green" result would so-to-speak give the game away, because that student could pass guaranteed-correct answers to others who are still at work..

Can I prevent the green indication (caused I think by fraction=1.0)? A hack would be to cap fraction at say .99, and adjust externally the mark. But I would rather a cleaner way.

Thanks for your advice!

Ca răspuns la Carroll Morgan

Re: Hiding green/red notification of correctness

de către Carroll Morgan-
Answer: Set "showresultsonly" to true. Then the background is grey, but the prologue and epilogue still appear (which is what I need). So consider this "answered" please, unless I am mistaken above.

BTW I had a test run just now with our local (UNSW) people of Richard's error-reporting patch that fixes the exception-reporting problem I was having earlier (where every error in the grading process simply said effectively "error"). It's now (in the UNSW testbed) giving more detailed error reports. Thanks for that! It will go live here next time they update Moodle.

de către Richard Lobb-
Ah, good. I was going to suggest "showresultsonly" - you saved me some typing and discussion. And good to know that the fix to the combinator-grader error worked, too. FYI: the latest version of CodeRunner now includes your suggested "graderstate" functionality.

de către Carroll Morgan-
Hi Richard, returning to this question... I have only just now noticed that pressing CHECK returns not only "correct" or "partially correct" but also the current marks. Ideally (as we discussed earlier) I would try to prevent any information about marks being returned --- and I proposed a work-around of multiplying by .99.

My questions comprise many individual items, each marked separately. Those separate marks are summed to give the total mark for the question. And --I now realise-- the "total marks as you go" can allow the students to try the items one at a time, moving on to the next only when the "current mark" increases.

Is there something I can do to prevent that?

de către Tim Hunt-

The quiz has options for all the different aspects of the question which you might, or might not, want displayed.

$options->marks is for whether to display any sort of numerical mark information.

$options->correctnes is for whether to display anything red/green tick/cross like.

So, first make sure you ahve set up your quiz with options that correspond to the behaviour you want to see.

Then, if CodeRunner does not respect that, it is a bug in the CodeRunner renderer which would need ot be fixed. (Which might be easy in some cases, but tricky with complex template graders.)

Ca răspuns la Tim Hunt

de către Richard Lobb-
Interesting point, Tim. I don't check the $options->correctness setting. But the question is: what to do with the result table if correctness is not being shown? Simply hiding the ticks and crosses isn't very meaningful as the expected and got columns tell the same story, only more tediously. I don't see a lot of point in displaying just the test and the expected columns. The only thing that would seem to make sense is to hide the result table altogether. Which for most coderunner questions is more or less equivalent to not showing the specific feedback. So I'm not sure I see how to make the distinction?

I don't think I do anything with $options->mark because as I recall mark display is all handled by the behaviour, isn't it? In which case it should work as usual. I do adjust the mark according to the penalty regime, but I don't think I've changed the display of marks from whatever is in the default adaptive behaviour.

Carroll: does setting the review option to not show marks solve your problem?
Ca răspuns la Richard Lobb

de către Tim Hunt-
I agree it is tricky.

The general design of the question_display_options was to divide up all the things that might, or might not, be displayed into a number of categorties that are as independent as possible. This was to enable, in system which supportes multiple question types and behaviour (and indeed potentially different uses of questions like quiz and embedded quetsitions, ...) a way for teachers to express there preferences about what students can see at any time - which can be pretty important for getting the teaching model you want.

However, as you say, specific feedback / marks / correctness cannot ever truly be independent. That is ineherent. So, as a question type creator, you just have to do your best to take all the things which might, or might not, be displayed, and allocate them to one of the categories.

It seeme like Carroll has given us a use case where putting some things into the correctness category might be desirable.