We have a Moodle server (v3.3) using Coderunner 1.5 beta.
Any advice on upgrading would be greatly appreciated.
Perhaps I didn't uninstall 1.5beta completely?
Wow, I didn't think there would be any version 1 CodeRunners still live in the wild. I'm not sure whether to be impressed or depressed!
The upgrade is not going to be trivial (as you've just discovered). I hope you're not attempting this upgrade on a production server.
As explained in the documentation, here, you can't upgrade directly to the current version. The upgrade path will need to be something like the following. You should do this on a copy of the server, not the production version.
- Build a Jobe server. The ability to run student code on the Moodle server was removed a couple of years ago.
- Replace the code for the specialised question behaviour (qbehaviour_adaptive_adapted_for_coderunner) with the latest version. The behaviour and the question type are now in separate repositories, not bundled into one as before. You get the behaviour from github, here.
- Replace the CodeRunner question type subtree (<moodlehome>/question/type/coderunner) with CodeRunner V2.4.2 from github (here). Cross your fingers and invite Moodle (via admin/notifications) to attempt the upgrade to 2.4.
- All going well (the cynical side of me says that's unlikely), try upgrading from V2.4.2 to the latest version 3.
It's quite possible that even a two-hop upgrade will not be sufficient, but let's see what happens.
Believe or not version 1.5 is still running fine for requirements here. However, I recently took over as sysadmin and I feel we should at least try to upgrade.
I have cloned the production server in order to test the upgrade. I'll follow your instructions and cross my fingers!
Once again, thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it goes.
I eventually got to try this.
Jobe server and qbehaviour_adaptive_adapted_for_coderunner installation/upgrade were successful
However, the coderunner upgrade threw up this error. Any suggestions?
OK, not a huge surprise that that broke. I think we should take this conversation off the forum since I doubt anyone else is upgrading from 1.5beta. Could you please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) directly with:
- The current plug in version number. You can get this from Site administration > Plugins > Question types > Manage question types.
- The current schema (list of column names and types) for the 'quest_coderunner_options' table. You can get this by running the command mysql, e.g.
mysql -u <yourmysqlrootusername> -p moodle <Enter the password for your mysql root user> describe mdl_quest_coderunner_options;or you might be able to get it directly from phpmyadmin if you have that installed.
With that info, I'll see if I can figure out a solution.