Missing padlock near question list

Missing padlock near question list

by Robert Mařík -
Number of replies: 3

Hello all.

The quizzes in Moodle can be used with a setting which allows to continue to the next  question after completing the previous one. However I do not see the padlocks for CodeRunner questions.

I mean the functionality described at https://docs.moodle.org/402/en/Building_Quiz#Making_questions_conditional_upon_other_questions

My idea is to build a series of questions as follows. The student will form the geometric progression in Question1 using X[t+1] = r * X[t] and then will generalize. In Question 2 he/she will consider X as 2d array and r number, in Question 3 the value r becomes vector and in Question 4 the value r becomes matrix. This will be route from geometric progression to Leslie model. And of course, to continue with the next step the students have to resolve the previous one. Any idea how to achieve this?

Thank you.

Robert

In reply to Robert Mařík

Re: Missing padlock near question list

by Tim Hunt -
This explanation is probalby mainly for Richard's benefit.

The availability (or not) of the padlock icons depends on the question behaviour method 'can_finish_during_attempt'.

Since CodeRunner always uses adaptive behaviour, and since Adaptive behaviour always allows the student to try a different answer, to see what happens, at the moment our implementation of can_finish_during_attempt just alwasy returns false. (We have not overriddent the base class implementation.)

However, as part of the GIVEUP_AFTER_MAX_MARKS feature I added, we have methods like is_improvement_possible in the behaviour now, so perhaps it would be possible to change qbehaviour_adaptive_adapted_for_coderunner so that it can work with the 'Making questions conditional upon other questions' feature? I am not quite sure.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Robert Mařík -
Hello. Thank you. So this feature is not available (yet). Never mind, I can live without this and CodeRunner is great even without this feature. Thank you.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Richard Lobb -
Thanks for the explanation and ideas Tim. I've added the idea to the (rather large) TODOs list.

Robert: we often ask questions that build in the way you describe. Questions often start with wording like "Extend your answer to the previous question to ... ". Students nearly always do questions in order and I don't recall any problems from students trying to jump ahead in a sequence of clearly co-dependent questions.